Developers plan to turn a landmark industrial building in East Dallas into a residential apartment complex, the Dallas Morning News reported.
Dallas apartment firm Perry Guest Cos. is partnering with investor Ray Washburne to redevelop the property, CEO Grant Guest told the Morning News.
The famed Dallas architect George Dahl built the two-story building at Bryan Street and Carroll Avenue in 1928. It housed Mrs. Baird’s Breads, once the largest independent bakery in the country, until the 1950s.
It was later home to a fabric manufacturer and was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1995.
Guest told the Morning News that he wasn’t sure how many units could fit in the 44,000-square-foot building, which is one of the largest vacant properties in the district.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.