Mrs. Baird was a widow in Fort Worth trying to make ends meet for her children when she began baking and selling bread out of her kitchen in 1908. She created Mrs. Baird’s Bread Company, which would grow to become the largest independent bakery in the country. In 1928, she expanded by building a thriving warehouse operation in East Dallas. The building, which still stands, was named to the National Register of Historical Places in 1995. (Source: National Park Service)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.