Photo by Danny Fulgencio

The Lakewood Branch Library has been serving our neighborhood for decades.

Though it has changed locations, it didn’t go far.

It was established in 1938, originally housed in the building on La Vista where Kelli Slate’s dental practice is located. It is known as the Diener-Mills building, named for Paul Diener and Cecil Mills, who bought the property when it was slated for destruction in the 1980s.

The library opened in a new building on Worth Street in 1970.

We just found some footage of the library from July 1961. Though it’s a silent video, the images capture a summer day when neighbors were able to check out books outdoors.

The library had set up tents and tables on the sidewalk, and neighbors stopped by to look around.

The video is from the WFAA Collection at the G. William Jones Collection at SMU.

Watch it here, or below.

And for another video from the 1960s era in Lakewood, click here.