The Bath House Cultural Center on the east side of White Rock Lake was built in 1930 as a center for public swimming. It was in operation from 1930 until 1953, when it was closed due to a severe drought. The Bath House reopened in 1981 as Dallas’ first neighborhood cultural center and was designated as an historical landmark by the City of Dallas Landmark Commission in 1996.

Renovation was completed in May 1997 and the Bath House now includes a 100-seat theater, two exhibition galleries, a classroom/studio and a darkroom that is available for rent. It is now part of the Cultural Affairs of the City of Dallas and offers visual and performing arts year-round.

Manager David Fisher says that the Center addresses the needs of local emerging artists and arts organizations in addition to hosting local, regional and national artists.

The Center will host several programs in May such as “Passionate Visions: 20th Century Latin American Photography;”  a reception with special performances by  Tish Hinojosa; “Jettatore” by Gregory De LaFerrere from Argentina; “Collecting Photography” with Burt Finger and Maria Teresa Garcia-Pedroche; “Music of the Americas” performed by pianist Lara Downer; Ballet Olimpaxqui and Ballet Folklorico (with dancers from Honduras); and the video of Eduardo Galeano. For dates and times, see the “News and Notes” section of Datebook this issue. For additional information, contact 214-670-8749, bhcultural@usa.net.


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.