The stone tables at White Rock Lake have been restored, and neighbors are invited to a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
District 9 Councilwoman Paula Blackmon and District 9 Park Board appointee Maria Hasbany will be at the Aug. 28 ceremony.
The City of Dallas built the tables and pavilion in 1931 as White Rock Lake’s first picnic area. Years later, a Civilian Conservation Corps project led to the addition of a lily pond and a restroom.
Restoration projects began in 2017 when the White Rock Lake Conservancy gave the City of Dallas Park and Recreation Department $15,000 to restore two tables and come up with a price for renovating the others. Look back at the project’s beginning in this article and video.
Crews began restoring nine tables in September 2020. The granite was broken down, and tables were supposed to be rebuilt with as much remnant material as possible on concrete bases.
In addition to the table restoration, new grills, stone trash enclosures and improved drainage was planned for the project.
The ceremony is scheduled for 10 a.m. at 553-683 E. Lawther Drive.