UPDATE: While we were told flames were scene turns out an old generator just smoked up the place. Back to business as usual, folks.
Here’s the original post:
Rarely in this business, we get to be apart of the news. That happened today when a fire broke out in the building that houses our offices, the nine-story Wells Fargo building on Gaston Avenue.
Shortly after noon, the lights flickered off — something that’s known to happen when it gets too hot but it’s unclear why the electricity went out today. The generator kicked in a few moments later, but about 15 minutes after that the fire alarms began blaring. We were told to evacuate, as dozens of people who work in the building headed down the stairway into the parking lot.
A building maintenance person gave us the unofficial report that the generator was the source of the fire. Dallas Fire and Rescue is still on scene as of 1 p.m. We’ll update this post as we learn more.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.