I want to extend to our district 2 families and staff a very warm welcome to the 2021-2022 school year! We’re ready to embark upon new adventures in the world of learning! Dallas ISD schools offer many opportunities to help your child experience academic success. Each year is a new opportunity to provide important transitions and the acquisition of new skills that will enhance each student’s ability to apply learning in many ways.
We’re excited to have every student back on campus! To protect staff and students from the spread of the highly contagious Delta variant of the coronavirus, Dallas ISD is temporarily requiring all staff, students, and visitors to wear masks.
We’re Ready to make this a great school year, and we thank you for understanding and working with us to keep the learning environment safe for everyone.
District 2 news…
- Thank you so much to all our district 2 teachers and staff who have created a safe and welcoming space that promotes a rigorous, inclusive learning experience!
- We are very grateful to our North Dallas High School soccer and drill team for visiting and welcoming students from our feeder schools Ben Milam, Ignacio Zaragoza and Cesar Chavez on their first day of school.
- I’m proud to announce that Dallas Hybrid Preparatory at Stephen J. Hay is breaking new ground in the educational world with an online platform that allows students to interact in a virtual world.
- Many thanks to the Junior League of Dallas for providing Grants for Innovative Teaching, and congratulations to the following District 2 educators who received grants:
- Dan Garrison, Woodrow Wilson HS Academy of Engineering
- Stephanie Cantu, Mockingbird Elementary
- I would like to recognize Matthew Jackson, who recently graduated from North Dallas High School after struggling with homelessness as a freshman. With the support of his mother and the NDHS staff, Jackson earned an academic scholarship to Texas A&M Texarkana, which he is now attending, and will study psychiatry. Congratulations, we are very proud of you!
- Congratulations to Woodrow Wilson High School junior Patricia McDonald, a runner-up in The New York Times’ Eighth Annual Student Editorial Contest.
In other news…
Spanish Website for Dallas ISD Parents
As part of the Dallas ISD Hispanic Heritage Month campaign and the equity and racial effort, the Dallas ISD Parent Advocacy Department has launched a Spanish web page www.DallasISD.org/PADRES, to offer culturally relevant information for parents. The site includes the Spanish weekly information sessions broadcast live on Facebook, Spanish podcast episodes, parent resources and Dallas ISD department links all on one page. For the latest districtwide information and events, parents may also visit the district’s main Spanish web page: www.dallasisd.org/espanol.
Social and Emotional Learning Resources
Did you know that Dallas ISD’s Social and Emotional Learning Department has a website dedicated to providing parents and caregivers great SEL-focused resources? From tools like mood meters to helpful articles about family engagement, there’s plenty of useful information available: https://www.dallasisd.org/Page/70970.
For district news, continue following us on social media:
- Facebook: facebook.com/dallasisd
- Twitter: @dallasschools
- Instagram: @dallasisd
- Facebook Español: facebook.com/dallasisdEspanol
- Twitter Español: @DISDespanol
Dallas ISD Trustee
Dustin Marshall, District 2
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.