Architect Jessica Janzen answers questions at the Dreyfuss Club community meeting at Winfrey Point on May 17, 2022. Photo by Renee Umsted.

The Dallas Park and Recreation Department shared a survey inviting the public to share thoughts on the potential Dreyfuss Club rebuild.

The Dreyfuss Club, named for Dallas business owner Sol Dreyfuss, was built in 1936 near White Rock Lake. It was sold to the City of Dallas after World War II, and it became a rentable venue, able to accommodate up to 150 people. The building burned down in 2006 and has never been rebuilt, though there have been efforts to do so over the years.

Now, the White Rock Lake Conservancy wants to rebuild it, or at least help raise the funds to rebuild it. In fact, the Conservancy has been in talks with the park department about this project for years.

Professional architects in the American Institute of Architects Dallas Emerging Leaders Program have volunteered to come up with a design concept for the building, keeping White Rock Lake Park and its history in mind.

The group held a community interest meeting at Winfrey Point in May to hear from the public. Around 30 people attended and provided feedback on different possible features to be included in the design plan — everything from picnic areas to hammocks to a playground.

To reach a broader audience, the park department released an online survey, which can be accessed here. It has eight questions and an opportunity to sign up to receive more information from the park department.

 


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.