We are unabashed supporters of neighborhood businesses. Our December magazines, which will begin arriving at your doorsteps after Thanksgiving, feature all kinds of creative neighborhood crafters from whom you can (and should) buy handmade holiday gifts.
The shopping frenzy officially kicks off this Friday (or today, apparently, as national retailers keep inching up sales), and if you already have your track suit laid out and your route mapped, we won’t judge. We will, however, encourage you to hit up locally-owned shops in our neighborhood, which are offering plenty of their own specials on Black Friday and Small Business Saturday (an event created by American Express).
• Start on Friday morning with $1 coffee at Hypnotic Donuts.
• Need a babysitter while you shop? Drop off the kids (ages 3-8) at The Little Gym‘s Black Friday camp. Each camp, 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30-4:30 p.m., costs $40 ($36 for members). Reservations are required, 214.515.0800.
• Roll out of bed to come-as-you-are Black Friday at the Gypsy Wagon, where the best pajamas win a prize and everything from holiday decor to boots will be from 20 to 50 percent off. Early shoppers can treat themselves to baked goods and mimosas, and those who wear pajamas and bring a toy for the toy drive will receive 30 percent off one item.
• T. Hee Greetings and Gifts opens two hours early at 8 a.m., and for the first hour, customers can buy any one regularly priced item in the store for 50 percent off. Then 9 a.m.-6 p.m. is T. Hee’s “buy more, save more” promotion: Spend at least $50 and get 15 percent off your entire purchase; at least $150 and save 25 percent; and at least $250 and save 35 percent.
• At the Little Bean children’s boutique on Junius, all fall and winter clothing will be 20 percent off on Friday.
• Ditto Boutique‘s “It’s a Wrap Sale” starts today and continues through Sunday. All jackets, sweaters and scarves are 25 percent off, and all other merchandise is 10 percent off, plus an extra 10 percent off clearance merchandise.
• On Saturday, Yoga Mart will offer 15 percent off customers’ total purchase.
• At her Etsy shop Created New, White Rock neighbor April Wade is offering free shipping on all orders plus discounts on scarves between Thursday and Monday, Nov. 22-26. Another neighborhood-based online store, Trends We Love, is offering a Black Friday special of 20 percent off all items with tax included and $3 flat rate shipping.
• Find out which businesses are participating in Small Business Saturday here.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.