The Rev. George Rottenstein brought the Episcopal faith to Dallas, holding the first St. Matthew’s service on May 25, 1856. It was the third church to open in the newly established city, with a population of just about 400. In its early years, the church moved all over Dallas, including the site pictured here in 1906. It finally found its permanent home at 5100 Ross in July 1929, where it is now a Texas Historic Landmark. Today, the 2,800-pipe organ can be heard across the neighborhood during Sunday mass, which now includes a full Spanish service to cater to the more diverse range of worshippers.

Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.