Built in 1905 by cotton farmer Robert S. Munger, the neighborhood was designed for luxury. Houses were all two-stories, set at least 60 feet from the property line and cost at least $10,000 a piece, a high-dollar price at the time. The newly dubbed Munger Place was so successful, it quickly was expanded and brought a wide range of architectural styles to Dallas, in addition to the city’s first deed restrictions. For years, the stone pillars seen at left welcomed residents home at Swiss and Fitzhugh avenues. They were removed by the city in 1969 when they were deemed a traffic hazard. Today, new pillars pay homage to the past without blocking the roadway.

Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.