Last month, we redesigned our magazine, and I offered a free t-shirt to each of our 199,000 readers who took the time to tell us their opinion.
My accountant says I’m lucky every reader didn’t take me up on the offer. But 85 t-shirts later (and counting, since we’re reprinting several of the more popular sizes), the results are in: Overall, you like what you see.
There were constructive suggestions, a few complaints, some good questions, and lots of positive comments.
Here is a small sample of what you told us…
• Rick, thank you for your magazine! My husband and I were married a year ago, and although he grew up in the big city, I did not! I came from small-town West Texasand felt lost here. When your magazine arrived, it helped me to narrow down this huge metroplex and focus on my neighborhood. We have used it to find new restaurants, a pet-sitter and get to know our neighborhood. I look forward to getting it!
• I am writing to let you know that I really like the magazine. I look forward to it every month — just as much as any magazine (and this one is free!).
• I highly commend you for publishing this great magazine. I look forward to your issue each month and read it cover to cover. Just recently, I read about the Thursday concerts at the Arboretum and joined in all the fun! Kudos to you!
• Rick, your amateur publication, of little editorial worth, will hopefully fade away. Maybe you could start a paranormal advocate.
• Per your magazine, I have tried many local restaurants and shops that are now staples for our family that I would have otherwise probably never have noticed. For this, I am especially thankful. Great job!
• Mr. Wamre: You are doing a great job! I always get a smile on my face when I find it hanging on my front door. Thank you.
• My husband and I don’t have kids (yet) and are both 30 (well, I’m almost 30). We love the magazine and read it every time it comes. We have found almost all our home needs, i.e. handymen, pet sitters, tree trimmers, in the advertising section.
• I wanted to let you know how much I enjoy the magazine. It’s nice to read about the positive things that are happening around me, and it leaves me with a good feeling when I’m finished.
There were many, many more comments, and I’m grateful to everyone who took the time to give us some feedback.
And my offer still stands: Let us know how we’re doing or send us a story idea, and I’ll send you a free t-shirt.
Thanks for spending your time with us this month. See you in October.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.