The doors of public, private and parochial schools in East Dallas and Lakewood opened last month as students began classes for the 1993-’94 school year.

Had the year been 1943, starting or returning to school would have most likely taken place this month.

Since this issue is reflective of life in East Dallas and Lakewood 50 years ago, it’s interesting to note schools that have been opening doors in their present locations since 1943 (or even before).

Here are a few such schools that served our neighborhoods years ago:

• North Dallas and Woodrow Wilson high schools
• Alex W. Spence and J.L. Long junior highs
• Ben Milam, James B. Bonham, James W. Fannin, Mount Auburn, Reinhardt, Robert E. Lee, Stephen J. Hay, Stonewall Jackson and William Lipscomb elementaries.

Some of the private and parochial schools operating in 1943 relocated their campuses, and some closed. Hockaday School, for example, was located at Belmont and Greenville 50 years ago. Ursuline Academy was located at Live Oak, Bryan and Haskell.

Thank you

Although the dates and facts for this column are checked through various written resources, people of our community who were “on the scene” usually provide the most accurate information.

Last month’s column mentioned that the Lakewood Theatre was the City’s first air-conditioned movie theater. Written resources bore this out.

But reader Martha Rees was kind enough to let us know that the Palace Theater already had been air-conditioned when she opened the first Carrier Air Conditioning Co. sales office in Dallas for the Southwest Region – in 1929.

Well, maybe the Lakewood Theatre was the first suburban theater to be air conditioned in Dallas?


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.