Local designer Kathy Fielder contributed to this article.
A new decade brings new ideas, and in the ever-changing world of design, it can be hard to know what’s in and what’s out. For 20 years, local designer Kathy Fielder has worked in every aspect of design, from home to fashion, at her studio in Lakewood.
After looking at countless wall colors, debating the merits of granite versus marble countertops and agonizing over fixtures and finishes while remodeling her 1914 home, she’s got her finger on the pulse of the year’s hottest trends.
But don’t be afraid to break the rules. An interior that reflects your aesthetic never goes out of style.
“A good room makes you better,” Fielder says. “Your home is a safe haven that prepares you for the next day so you can tackle the world. You must know yourself, your needs and your family’s needs before you can create any space.”
(Photo courtesy of Kathy Fielder.)
Here are Fielder’s home design trends to watch in 2020:
1. Black and white spaces are back. While this dynamic color combo is a classic, it is easily revamped with striking results.
2. Bold backsplashes are in. Tile, marble and stone solutions can create a show-stopping piece of art that will transform your kitchen into a masterpiece.
3. Little things make a difference. Whether it’s a special nook for your favorite hobby, a place to exercise when you can’t get to the gym or an organized pantry with a place for everything, the small things improve your quality of life.
4. Timeless classics are always in style, no matter the year. Whether your style is art deco, Parisian apartment, farmhouse or country chic, classic spaces will always make a statement.
5. “Classic” modern interiors are one of the trendiest aesthetics on the market. Clean, fresh and edited with pops of color that inspire you is a trend that won’t pass anytime soon.
6. Painted cabinets and trim are everywhere. From black to navy to turquoise, a painted cabinet gives your kitchen or bathroom an instant facelift.
7. Unexpected pops of color are another trend. Over the last few years, we have seen white upon white with touches of gray. Dynamic colors are a welcome change.
8. One key piece of furniture can transform a room from dull to eye catching. Invest in key pieces and build a room around them.
9. Wall texture is out. Flat walls that are perfectly painted are the most on trend.
10. Textiles elevate any space. What’s trending most? Textured, geometric and sustainably sourced products are at the top of the list.