In commemoration of the first automobile that appeared in Dallas 120 years ago, the Junius Heights Home Tour will feature a collection of antique cars in addition to five restored bungalows.
The first car arrived in Dallas in 1899. Col. E. H. R. Green was so fascinated with the horseless carriage he saw in St. Louis, he bought one and shipped it to his home in Terrell. The car was then driven from Terrell to Dallas. It was a trip of 30 miles that took five hours.
Accompanying him was his chauffeur Jesse Illingsworth, a noted Texas automobilist. His adventures were often reported in the local newspapers newspapers, and he became a household name as he traveled the difficult and dangerous Texas roads at the turn of the 20th century.
Illingsworth and his wife, Josephine, moved to Junius Heights and became the first owners of a house on Lipscomb Avenue in 1924. Fiver years later, they lost everything in the stock market crash and left Junius Heights in 1933.
A preserved 1915 Packard will be parked in front of Illingsworth’s former home at 709 Lipscomb Ave. on the Nov. 3 tour. Antique car enthusiast James Gudat will also showcase eight of his prized vehicles at his house on 1509 Abrams Road.
Of the five bungalows on the tour, one is a craftsman home previously owned by Charles Hill, an architect who designed many of Dallas’ prominent buildings — including Oak Lawn Methodist Church, First Presbyterian Church and the old City Hall building — in the early 20th century.
Included on the tour will be the newly renovated Lakewood Theater. Built in 1938 to resemble a lighthouse with a flashing beacon at the top, the building is now a 10-lane bowling alley.
Tickets for the home tour are $20 in advance or $25 at the door. Advance tickets can be purchased at Buzzbrews, Tululah and Hess and Bowlski’s.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.