Voters in 2015 approved a $1.6 billion bond program for Dallas ISD that includes new schools, campus renovations and expansions, and significant facility enhancements.
For my final column of the 2017-2018 school year, I want to provide updates on the bond projects for the District 2 schools.
Hillcrest High School
When bond construction work is finished on Hillcrest High School, the campus will have:
- A new 7,500-square-foot auxiliary competition gym, which will be attached to the north wing of the school inside the courtyard, with up to 300 seating capacity
- Locker room facilities and tornado shelter
- A new 22-classroom addition along Hillcrest Road
- A new administrative suite with a security vestibule and eight classrooms
- An updated interior courtyard with areas for group learning
- Multiple renovated areas and site upgrades across the campus
The storm shelter and locker room walls are currently being built, renovations of the existing building are underway, and work is happening on the classroom addition along Hillcrest Road. Demolition of the existing ‘30s building and gym will begin in early June
Construction is expected to be complete in Fall 2019.
Woodrow Wilson High School
Construction work has started on Woodrow Wilson High School, with an estimated completion date of June 27, 2019. The majority of the work includes:
- A three-story addition with core classrooms, classroom for arts and ceramics, a classroom for science, and a band/orchestra suite
- A new competition gym and locker room facilities
- Upgrades to the existing auditorium
- Replacing and upgrading the fire alarm system
Construction crews so far have been working on the utilities, foundation and superstructure for the new three-story addition.
J.L. Long Middle School
Construction work is underway at Long Middle School. The bond work includes:
- A new two-story 22-classroom addition, as well as a new band/orchestra suite
- Replacing drinking fountains and adding an ADA compliant chair lift to the auditorium stage
- Removing 10 portable buildings
- Replacing the fire alarm system and expanding the cafeteria area
Construction crews have been working on the foundation for the new addition, with more work happening this summer. Construction is expected to be completed by Feb. 15, 2019.
Lakewood Elementary School will be part of the second phase of bond projects. The bond work will include:
- HVAC replacement
- Upgrading interior restrooms and drinking fountains
- Exterior cosmetic improvements
Other District 2 schools
Meanwhile, these District 2 schools will be in the third and fourth phase of bond improvements:
- Benjamin Franklin Middle School
- Henry W. Longfellow Career Exploration Academy
- Preston Hollow Elementary School
- Dan D. Rogers Elementary School
- Robert E. Lee Elementary School, which is becoming Geneva Heights Elementary School
- Sudie Williams Talented and Gifted Academy
- Stonewall Jackson Elementary School, which is becoming Mockingbird Elementary School
- North Dallas High School
Meanwhile, Ben Milam Elementary School will be a part of the fifth phase of bond projects.
A Dallas ISD Long Range Master Plan is being finalized that will help determine the bond projects for these campuses in the third, fourth and fifth phases.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.