When that hold on the latest bestseller finally comes through, or if the internet is down at the house, East Dallas still heads to its library. The Lakewood Library was built in 1938 at 6342 La Vista in the stately Diener-Mills building that today houses Kelli Slate’s dental practice and 2 Shea Boutique and Med Spa. The building is named for for Paul Diener and Cecil Mills, who bought the property when it was scheduled for destruction in the 1980s. The library moved to Worth Street in 1970 but is still a bustling a community of book lovers. Story time is always packed, the book drive is still popular and the art show every May draws numerous neighborhood entries, as it has since 1962.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.