In the 1920s, the country was enamored of aviation expert Charles Lindbergh. It was 1927, just a few months after Lindbergh made his first solo flight over the Atlantic, when he came to visit Dallas and spread aviation awareness. Shortly thereafter, the city named a newly paved stretch of road between Mockingbird Lane and Swiss Avenue as Lindbergh Drive. But, as WWII brewed, Lindbergh was suspect of being a Nazi sympathizer due to his vocal antiwar views. On Dec. 3, 1941, just before the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the city council voted to rename the road and, two days later, every sign had been changed to Skillman Street. (Source: The Dallas Morning News)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.