W.H. Gaston ensured the neighborhood’s prosperous future when he persuaded the railways to come through East Dallas with $5,000 and free rights of way on his expansive properties. The East Dallas Union Depot, which went by several names over the years, welcomed the Houston and Texas Central Railway’s inaugural arrival on July 16, 1872. At the time, the depot wasn’t more than a few small shacks, but in 1897 it was replaced with a stately brick structure. It was abandoned as a freight site in 1933, at which point it became a welfare center and relief station during the post-Depression years. In 1935, the city made plans to tear it down but ensured materials were repurposed to build homes for the needy, specifically the box cars. (Source: The Dallas Morning News, Texas State Historical Association)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.