The McCommas family were early neighborhood settlers who bought up 640 acres along Abrams in the 1840s. When the golf craze swept the country, the family got in on the action by opening a nine-hole course on 60 acres in 1924. It was a neighborhood hangout for decades until a developer’s dollars proved too tempting and the course was sold in 1973. (Source: Advocate archives)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.