fbpx

James Fannin Elementary School, 4800 Ross Ave.

Designed by noted architecture firm Lang & Witchell, the school opened in 1908 to handle the city’s fast-growing population, which skyrocketed from 42,638 in 1900 to 158,976 by 1920. It is one of the city’s oldest still-standing educational facilities. The school initially faced San Jacinto Street, but when it was expanded in 1915, a larger, second building was added that faced Ross, which is still there today. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1995. (Source: National Park Service)

Return to ‘Historical happenings’ story


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.
By |2017-06-30T10:22:22-05:00June 14th, 2017|Uncategorized|0 Comments

About the Author:

Emily Charrier
EMILY CHARRIER is the managing editor at Advocate Magazines. Email her at echarrier@advocatemag.com.