Following the success of Ursuline, Ela Hockaday opened The Hockaday School for Girls in a grey frame house in 1913. It quickly outgrew the space, and six years later began construction on a two-story boarding school at Greenville and Belmont, by the Caruth farmhouse (see entry #3). Like Ursuline, Hockaday also relocated to Preston Hollow in 1961. The school was torn down to make way for Hockaday Village, a luxury apartment complex that attempted to profit off of the illustrious school’s name. (Source: The Hockaday School, The Dallas Morning News)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.