In 1924, the city made plans to build three bathing beaches at White Rock Lake, complete with sand imported directly from the coast. By 1930, only one such beach came to fruition, but it was spectacular. The recreational playground, along with its attached bath house, drew thousands every weekend. Swimming was banned in 1953 when the lake was needed as a reservoir once again, but the lake continues to draw thousands to its recreational offerings. (Source: “Images of America, White Rock Lake” by Sally Rodriguez)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.