Dallas historian Mark Doty posted the above photo of Ross Avenue from sometime in the early 1900s.
Grand mansions, mostly built around 1905 by the nouveau riche of Dallas, lined Ross Avenue from the Ross/Bennett area to Downtown.
There are only two of them left. One is the Belo Mansion Downtown. And the other is the Alexander Mansion, home of the Dallas Woman’s Forum and known for its annual holiday tour.
The Alexander Mansion is the house with four columns in the middle of this photo. Those marble columns arrived by train 110 years ago, and they were so enormous and unwieldy that workers had to build a cart specifically to deliver them.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.