Construction crews unrelated to Atmos damaged a natural gas pipeline while working at the intersection of Willow Street and Exposition Avenue on Wednesday, prompting a precautionary evacuation, an Atmos spokeswoman said.
Atmos technicians repaired the pipeline, and the evacuation was lifted Wednesday afternoon.
At least 200 people were evacuated after a possible gas leak was reported in East Dallas.
Dallas Fire-Rescue’s hazardous materials team responded just after 1 p.m. to the intersection of Willow Street and Exposition Avenue, near Deep Ellum, after someone called 911 to report a gas odor, spokesman Jason Evans said. The source of the odor is a 4-inch gas main near the intersection.
First responders evacuated neighbors and employees from nine residential locations and five businesses in the area, Evans said. Dallas police shut down the 3800 block of Commerce Street, as well as Exposition Avenue from 1st Avenue to Ash Street.
Atmos technicians are fixing the leak, but it is unclear when it will be repaired or when neighbors can return home.
Three DART buses and the American Red Cross are on scene providing assistance to anyone who needs help.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.