Cheers to a brighter 2021! I would like to extend best wishes to all for a happy and healthy new year. And may we all unite to make this year and those that follow full of opportunity for all children!
It was a great honor for me to be sworn in for my third term on the Dallas ISD School Board. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to represent you and your families in District 2.
During my service as trustee for the last four years, Dallas ISD has been recognized as the most improved urban school district in Texas. I will continue to fight for:
- Better Student Outcomes
- Increasing Teacher Pay
- Improving Dallas ISD Facilities
- Support for our Schools
I take this responsibility very seriously, and I pledge to do my best to make decisions every day in the best interest of the children!
The Dallas Independent School District supports legislation that protects and expands our ability to continue providing the best possible educational options to our 153,000 students. Key priorities include funding and support for our top four strategic initiatives:
RACIAL EQUITY: Furthering the District’s efforts to level the academic playing field for Black students and English learners by increasing internet connectivity in underserved communities, expanding access to magnet and choice programs, conducting Districtwide cultural intelligence training, increasing enrollment in pre-advanced placement courses, and making course curriculums more culturally relevant.
EARLY LEARNING: Making full-day prekindergarten available to all students, increasing pre-K community partnerships and expanding the availability of free and tuition-based early learning.
STRATEGIC COMPENSATION: Increasing salaries that enable recruiting the most talented teachers and offering incentives that reward teachers who serve at high-need campuses.
PUBLIC SCHOOL CHOICE: Attracting more families by expanding academic choices such as P-TECH, career institutes, dual language, magnets and transformation schools.
In other news…
- I am very proud to announce our District 2 winners of the December Cheer Challenge:
- 3A and 4A – Second Place: North Dallas High School
- 5A Division 1 – Third Place: Woodrow Wilson High School
- 5A-D2/6A/COED – Third Place: Hillcrest High School
- Congratulations to our Thomas Jefferson High School Principal, Sandi Massey! Principal Massey was named Person of the Year by Preston Hollow People for her efforts in caring for families and the community.
- Dallas ISD is expanding its school options next year to provide innovative programs to all students. We are excited to welcome to the Dallas ISD families:
Hybrid Future School, a first of its kind in the Dallas area. Students in grades 4 through 6 will have the opportunity to attend school remotely and on campus.
Paul Quinn College Global School, an international education program, first of its kind to be housed on a Historically Black College and University (HBCU), giving students grades 6-12 the opportunity to experience college life from an early age.
Montessori Academy at E.D. Walker, Dallas ISD’s newest Montessori campus, also offering a Two-Way Dual Language program for students in grades Pre-K 3 and 4 through 2nd grade.
- Discover 100+ choice and specialty school programs in Dallas ISD. Join us in a webinar and learn your options.
Saturday, Jan. 23, General webinar 10-11:30 a.m.
Wednesday, Jan. 27, General webinar 6-7 p.m.
Choose Dallas ISD. Apply by Feb. 7. Need assistance completing your application? We can help! Call the application phone bank at 972-925-5560.
- Virtual STEM EXPO
Dallas ISD’s Virtual STEM EXPO is set for Saturday, Jan. 23, from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. The free and virtual event will feature a great variety of exhibits and ways to have fun while children explore, design, build and create. Register today at: www.dallasisd.org/stemexpo.
For District news, continue following us on social media:
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/dallasisd
- Twitter: @dallasschools
- Instagram: @dallasisd
- Facebook Español: www.facebook.com/dallasisdEspanol
Dallas ISD Trustee
Dustin Marshall, District 2
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.