A cigarette discarded improperly may have caused a fire at an East Dallas condominium, firefighters said.

Dallas Fire-Rescue responded at 2:30 p.m. Friday to the Terrace Condominiums at 5826 Sandhurst Lane.

Upon arrival, firefighters saw flames on the balcony of a first-floor unit, spreading up the exterior wall to the second floor, Dallas Fire-Rescue spokesman Jason Evans said. The fire then made its way into the attic before spreading across the top of multiple units.

About 50 firefighters were on scene, and they extinguished the blaze in just over an hour, Evans said.

Residents evacuated before authorities arrived, and no injuries were reported.

Ten condos were uninhabitable because of smoke, fire and water damage, Evans said. It is unknown how many residents were displaced, but the American Red Cross is assisting with their needs.

Investigators determined the fire was accidental and probably the result of the cigarette on the first-floor balcony, where the flames originated.


WANT MORE?
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.