Gov. Greg Abbott said gyms can reopen Monday at 25 percent capacity with certain restrictions, but many owners in our neighborhood are choosing to stay closed. Here’s when our gyms may reopen:
- Orangetheory Fitness will open all its DFW locations, including the one in Lakewood, on May 23. All coaches and staff will wear personal protective equipment, practice social distancing with members and complete a symptom check before entering the studio. Limited-capacity classes may be shortened to allow for extra cleaning. Members will be asked to not arrive early and wipe down equipment. Towel and shower service will not be allowed.
- 24 Hour Fitness will open five North Texas locations May 18, but none are in Dallas. The remaining locations, including the one at 5706 E. Mockingbird Lane, will open later in a phased approach. Members must bring their own towels and masks.
- ASI Gymnastics will remain closed until at least June 1. Team classes will be the first to return. Open gym time, camps and parties have not yet been scheduled to resume.
- CrossFit White Rock will reopen May 18. Tune in to a Zoom “town hall” meeting for more information.
- Texas Family Fitness will reopen a dozen locations in the DFW area May 18. Group exercise classes will operate on a modified schedule, and some equipment will be unavailable. Members are asked to bring their own mats.
- The YMCA will begin opening its branches, including White Rock, in phases June 1. To ensure everyone has 6 feet of space, the Y will reduce capacity, space out equipment and limit treadmill and cardio usage to every other machine.
Did we miss one? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.