Today, the Sons of Hermann Hall is best known as a music, dance and event venue in Deep Ellum. But do you know why the building was originally built?
In the 1890s, the national fraternal organization, the Sons of Hermann, opened in Texas to help preserve German traditions and ease the transition of German immigrants into American society, according to a Texas Historical Commission post on Facebook.
The group sponsored annual parades and festivals, organized a school to teach children German and advocated for a German Day at the State Fair of Texas. It quickly became one of the country’s largest fraternal organizations.
The Dallas chapter built its Elm Street headquarters in 1910, according to the post. Like today, the building served as a dance hall, but it also had a bowling alley and meeting space.
Dallas’ chapter maintains its connection to the state headquarters in San Antonio and the national order.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.