October has been tough for Dallas and Dallas ISD in the aftermath of the tornado last month. The storm damaged several schools and displaced students at three schools for the remainder of the school year. In the face of all of this, Dallas ISD and the community have shown incredible resilience, bouncing back within the week. It has been amazing to watch the incredible support pour in and makes me proud to be here in Dallas alongside all of you.
Dallas and Dallas ISD’s resilience has been on full display; below is a series of stories that highlight the district employees, families, students, and our Dallas community stepping up:
- Dallas ISD Students Affected by Tornado Return to Classes!
- DISD Operations Staff Step Up in Tornado Aftermath
- Jerry Jones, Mark Cuban each donate $1M for Dallas ISD Recovery Efforts
What I’ve been up to:
- District 7 Town Hall: I enjoyed hosting a well-attended Town Hall at Adamson High School that focused on innovation in District 7. We had great feedback from 30 plus community members about what they would like to see in their neighborhoods. Overall, parents and community were excited about choice programs, like Montessori, being infused alongside (and within) neighborhood schools.
- Bond 2020 Committee Kick-Off: Over the past two months, community members from across Dallas, have worked on assessing current district needs, such as technology, facilities, innovation, and safety. In early 2020, Dallas ISD will compile all these suggestions into a draft of the proposed bond package. You can check out who is on bond committees/subcommittees, as well as the presentations made to the committees each month HERE.
Upcoming events for November:
- Thursday, Nov. 14 from 5:30 – 8:30 p.m. – Mackey Office Hours (PhD Bar & Grill on Davis St.)
- Thursday, Nov. 21 @ 6 p.m. – Dallas ISD October Board Meeting (5151 Samuell Blvd.)
- Monday, Nov. 25 – Fri, Nov. 29 – Thanksgiving Break (Dallas ISD Offices Closed)
- Tuesday, Dec. 3 @ 6 p.m. – “The ABC’s of Education” for parents wanting to learn about school options in Dallas ISD hosted by Raising Oak Cliff (Kidd Springs Recreation Center)
- Wednesday, Dec. 4 @ 6 p.m. – Joint Happy Hour: Ben Mackey, District 7 Dallas ISD Trustee & Chad West, District 1 City Councilmember (Mercado 369 on Jefferson Blvd)
As always, if you have thoughts, ideas, questions, concerns, or simply want to say hello, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me at BenMackey@dallasisd.org
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.