It was 1923 when H.W. Brouse began advertising plots of land in Forest Hills, which was still under construction at the time. The new lakefront development promised paved roads, electric lights and “the finest water in North Texas” — all somewhat unusual for the time. Brouse built 600 plots, which sold for $900-$5,500 depending on their proximity to the lake. “Dallas is proud of its many recent additions,” Brouse penned in a 1923 advertisement in The Dallas Morning News. “Soon it will be prouder of Forest Hills than most yet realize.” While marketing jargon for sure, Brouse’s statement proved correct. After being annexed into the city in 1945, Forest Hills remains one of Dallas’ more desirable locations, thanks to its mature trees and lakeside location.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.