Nothing is more refreshing on a warm April day than a frozen treat. Citrus granita is a semi frozen dessert made with water, sugar and the citrus juice of your choice to create a shaved ice that will cool you off throughout the warm months.
3 cups water
1 cup sugar
6 mint leaves
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup lime juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1 teaspoon lime zest
1. In a small saucepan combine water, sugar and mint leaves.
2. Cook the simple syrup until sugar is dissolved and comes to a slight boil.
3. Turn the heat off and allow the simple syrup to cool, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
4. Once the simple syrup is chilled, remove mint leaves and stir in lemon juice, lime juice and zest, and pour into a 9-by-13 baking dish.
5. Place in the freezer for an hour and using a fork, stir up the mixture to create shaved ice.
6. Continue to freeze mixture and shave the ice every 30 minutes until fully frozen.
7. Once you are ready to serve, shave the ice with a fork into the bowl of your choice and garnish with fresh mint.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.