In 1900, the City of Dallas comprised a few square miles, and our neighborhood was all farmland.
This map, donated to the Texas State Archives by H.L. DeGolyer in 1944, shows Dallas before White Rock Lake, before paved roads, when horse-and-buggy or steam-powered streetcars were the best modes of transportation.
Even though there are no streets, some of the farmers’ names are familiar, including Peavy, Diceman and McCommas.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.