Here are some school related news bites for this week:
- Send us your first day of school pictures for a photo slideshow! Email me a picture at firstname.lastname@example.org. Title the email “first day of school” and don’t forget to give us the name, age and grade of the child(ren) in the photo.
- Don’t forget (not that you will), but Labor Day is next Monday, Sept. 7. That means no school.
- The first Woodrow Wilson freshmen/JV football game of the year against Justin J. Kimball High School was a nail biter, according to an email from neighbor Mary Preussel. In the end, Kimball won 30-28, but it was “a fierce battle for dominance,” Preussel says. “The Wildcats were on the run to victory when an unfortunate interception 10 yards from their goal with nine seconds left. It was a crushing blow.” Even still, she thinks the game was a “great indicator of what will come,” she says. “This is a team of excellent athletes to be watching for the next few years.”
- Hexter Elementary asked that neighbors “please refrain from bringing your dog to school” because “are too many variables that make bringing your dog on to the campus a safety hazard.” That’s probably a good tip for all schools.
- Stonewall Jackson sent out this link to smart snack suggestions.
- Coming up, don’t miss Garden Work Day at Mata Montessori on Sept. 5 from 8-11 p.m. For more.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.