Carl Brown was born in a dirt-floored log cabin north of SMU in the 1880s, but his ambitions were much bigger. Despite plenty of naysayers, he bought up hundreds of acres of cotton fields east of White Rock Lake where he envisioned a community. He’d spend 12 years farming the land before the Federal Housing Administration helped him prep the site in 1936 to build Casa Linda Estates along with the state-of-the-art Casa Linda Plaza. He worked with his son, Howard, who loved the Spanish language and used it to name all of the streets. (Source: The Dallas Morning News, Texas State Historical Association)
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.