Here’s some school news nuggets you might need to know for the upcoming week:[list type=”bullet”]
- In the photo above, Girl Scouts from KIPP DFW Troop Truth (comprised of KIPP Truth Academy students) made a Girl Scout cookie delivery to the Yumilicious Lakewood location on Saturday, Jan. 25. KIPP Truth Academy is one of two KIPP charter schools in DFW. Pictured: KIPP Truth Academy students Cayla Carter, Zealyn Julka, Julia Gonzalez, and Emely Zavala.
- Career Day is later this week at Lakewood Elementary, and they’re still in need of volunteer “tour guides” on Thursday, Jan. 31 and Friday, Jan 31. Click here to sign up.
- On Sat, March 1, Friends of Lakewood will host a fundraiser concert benefiting Lakewood Elementary featuring two sought after local bands, The O’s and Ronnie Fauss. Leave the kids at home and bring your better half, friends and neighbors and come out to the FOL Texas Independence Day Concert. Everyone is welcome.
- Stonewall Jackson Elementary School is gearing up for the 3rd Annual Food Truck Field Day on March 29, and there’s going to be a new addition to the event this year: The White Top Book Sale. So they need as many books as they can get before then. There’s a bin in the front hall outside the office for donations. All proceeds will benefit Stonewall Gardens.
- Join Victor H. Hexter Elementary School for the Hex Gala +Auction on Feb. 8. Tickets are $25 a person. Learn more on the online event page.
- Magnet school applications are available online for interested parents. Go to the Dallas ISD website, and hover over “parents/students” and then click the “parents & students” on the pop-up menu. Scroll down to find “District Programs,” and click on the title “Magnet Program.” On the left, click the plus sign for the bullet labeled “Magnet Application Process and Forms.” Under this heading is all the information parents need read to research the procedure for applying to DISD Magnet School. Click on “Magnet Application Forms” to find the application you need. Print this application from the ADOBE PDF file, and fill it out. Deadline for submission is Jan. 31. Give the completed applications to the school to which you are applying.
Click to sign up for the Advocate's weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.