According to a report on WFAA-TV (Channel 8) last night, a series of fires in the neighborhood are being caused by faulty Oncor electric transformers bursting into flames as a result of high usage and the intense summer heat. Several neighbors told WFAA they’ve seen the fires start with a transformer and then consume vegetation in the surrounding alleys, as well as some wood fences, a guest house and even a garage.
An Oncor spokesman told WFAA the transformer blazes have been a problem in the neighborhood but didn’t elaborate much. For years, people living in our neighborhood have suffered through what seem to be more than our share of power outages year-round, with the two main causes of outages seeming to be overgrown tree limbs impinging on power lines (we’ve written about that issue many times) and blown transformers that often have been in place for years.
Click to sign up for the Advocate’s weekly news digest and be the first to know what’s happening in Lakewood/East Dallas.